Ikea Kitchen Modification

In the previous post, I had decided on an Ikea "Adel" front for the kitchen cabinets. It's too modern; its stamped rails and stiles are twice the width of the butler's pantry shaker door rails and stiles which I'm trying to match.

So, not being a huge fan of this mdf door and drawer front, and after looking around the IKEAFANS forums, I realized, 1. Because of the modular nature of Ikea, I can order their boxes with the fancy Blum slides, Euro hinges and drawers without having to order their cabinet doors. I would be fine living with cabinets without doors until we can afford the right doors. Anything to move the rats! 2. I can paint the more appropriate door, the wood "Tidaholm", to match, or can order unfinished shaker door fronts from Scherr's where they are familiar with Ikea measurements.

Here are great photos of a painted Tidaholm kitchen:
http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/attachments/photos/6126d1195228802-painted-tidaholm-cabinets-new-kitchen-kitchen-october-2007-b.jpg
http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/attachments/photos/6127d1195228818-painted-tidaholm-cabinets-new-kitchen-kitchen-october-2007-d.jpg

And a spray booth setup for the doors:
http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/modifications/11859-painting-tidaholm.html

I've been thinking also about not having a kickspace, instead filling the area with matching painted strips of plywood. Instead of doors under the sink, maybe a curtain. There are many details I could do to make the basic Ikea kitchen look more period, less Ikea. And then my homeowner guilt will be assuaged.

2 comments:

Why S? said...

I look forward to seeing your results. I'd also considered Adel for my 1909 Craftsman but in the end, decided to go with something else. Our house needs too much work and spending any time in modifications seemed out of the question.

But I will be using the smaller farm sink from Ikea, too.

Ralph's House said...

Yes- You've found the point I've been trying to work my brain around- there is too much work needed on the house overall to fuss too much over one thing. My restoration guilt over not having face-frame cabinets with inset doors will just have to deal with it.

UA-58667865-1