New attic access opening

Tired of the bugs in the closet and having to move boxes and clothing every time I needed to go up, I have moved the attic ceiling access to the hallway. It is a slightly larger, more accessible and much sturdier framed opening. The necessary angle to securely prop a ladder for climbing had left only stick people like me the ability to squeeze up through the skinny closet doorway and into the hole.

I took the drywall cut from the hallway and fit it into the closet ceiling, taped and mudded it so this is no longer a roach roadway. Despite my best effort to prop a thermostat wire behind a condensation pipe coming from the attic air handler, I did manage to cut through and apparently fry the thermostat. Since the outside heat pump fan has been broken since July, (blame it on bills and car repairs) when we eventually call the repair person I'll sheepishly explain my error. In the meantime we wear sweaters and blankets around the house. Well, I do anyway, to protect myself from Jason's cynical remarks about me and saws.

Old:









New:








It needs a new, larger plywood door and trim. A garbage bag taped to the ceiling isn't all that exciting. Jason's "new" closet will become bright aqua blue! now that I've patched up all the shoe gouges and tool scrapes in its walls.

No comments:

UA-58667865-1