O-o-oh who are the people in your neighborhood?

Speaking of creepy residents, a few weeks ago I was a block away (thankfully in my car) approaching a left turn in front of the train tracks. A hefty man with lots of jewelry crossed to the left, and walking 15 feet behind him was a tall, inconspicuously-dressed guy. He crossed very slowly in front of my car as I stopped for the turn, all the while looking at my car. I thought, "maybe he has my car, too!" because I always stare at my car when I see versions of it around town. But then, he paused at the left curb and turned to face me, then followed my face as my car made the left turn. Then he picked up where he left off, walking behind the first guy as they approached a convenience store. Weird! I made up several possible stories for them. Man and bodyguard? Stalker?

A block in the other direction is a main street in the neighborhod, though only two lanes wide. Many afternoons there are two girls standing on the corner, usually smiling and talking, while two guys stand across the street, looking more somber. Hooking? Easier done in pairs?

One morning soon after we moved in, I was getting in my car and saw a young guy, about 14-15 years old, on the street after our pocket park. He wore a dark hoodie, with the hood pulled up. I changed my route to drive past him, and he didn't hide the fact that he was looking in windows. I drove down to the main intersection for our neighborhood, waited for Amtrak from Miami to pass and made a right to circle back onto my street. Sure enough, the guy was standing at the end of what we'll call my driveway, looking into my backyard. I pulled up 4 feet from him, got out of my car, and went inside. He pretended not to see me and slowly ambled on down the road, eating cheese puffs.

We live a block down from a very poor "home". It has a tall chain link fence and the group of hundred-year-old houses are peeling but the grass is always mowed. In afternoons its gate is left open and people, mostly men, wander out, down our street. There is one man, who likes to stroll down the street, right up to where people are working in their yard, or walking their dog, and he immediately turns around and walks the other direction. A younger man about my age walks around the neighborhood yelling "WHAT!" There is also a couple who likes to lay in the park or right outside the home's fence, and make out.

So there, stories of people from the neighborhood. A cop lives three houses down from us, and I carry a cell phone, so I feel reasonably safe, but for months our ditzy new next-door renting neighbors let their pre-school son run loose. I caught up with him once down by the train tracks and talked him back with the promise of petting the fluffy kitty on our porch. A few minutes later, his father roared up in his car at the corner and yelled "git in the car!" to this kid, a mentally disabled 5-year old. I think the family found a lock for their door, thankfully. I debated calling child services but figured this newly-formed family of 7 had enough to worry about. The father is military, too and I'm sure the intrusion wouldn't have been nice at all, but maybe not as bad as losing his fiance's child. I'm glad they worked it out.

It's cat-on-a-post. The fireplace window is her favorite entrance. From there she watches me open the front door and call her, but won't move until I move the plants and vases and open the window above the bookcase. I'd been wondering how she got up there. Guess I can't cut off the excess post now.

No comments:

UA-58667865-1